Water kefir is another type of fermented beverage. It is made by fermenting water with water kefir grains. Like kombucha, water kefir is also beneficial to our gut because of the probiotics that it contains. Water kefir is effervescent like Kombucha, but it is lighter. If you don’t like Kombucha’s tangy flavor but you want the same benefits that it offers, kefir is a great alternative. So, how do you make water kefir?
Basic Water Kefir Recipe
There are many recipes when it comes to making water kefir. Unlike Kombucha, you can flavor water kefir during the first fermentation. It is also up to you if you want to add minerals to water kefir. Many recommend adding minerals though, as it makes water kefir healthier. But if you can get muscovado sugar or black strap molasses, you may not need to add more minerals; since these types of sugar are high in minerals. So, here’s the basic recipe to making water kefir.
- 4 cups water (tap, mineral, spring)
- 4 tablespoons sugar (white, brown, muscovado, black strap molasses. I personally use muscovado)
- 4 tablespoons water kefir grains
Please note: 1 tablespoon of kefir grains is good for 1 tablespoon of sugar and 1 cup of water.
What You Need
- 1 liter glass jar
- Tablespoon to use for measurements
- 1 rubber band
- Clean piece of cloth/coffee filter/cheesecloth
- Boil four cups of water.
- While you wait for your water to boil, strain your water kefir grains. Place it in your jar and set aside.
- Once the water has completely boiled, turn off the heat and add four tablespoons of sugar. Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Let the sugared water cool down.
- Once the water has cooled down, pour it over to your jar and cover with a cloth and secure it with a rubber band. Optional: add some fresh fruits like lemon, pineapples, fig, etc. for flavoring.
- Store the jar in a warm and dry place, away from the sunlight.
- Wait for 1-3 days.
- After a day, do a taste test. If the water kefir is water slightly sour, like a lemonade, it is ready.
- Enjoy your homemade water kefir and be proud of yourself.
Have questions? Leave a comment below.